Technical agility. Responsive solutions.
Saneca Pharma is a leading contract development and manufacturing organisation (CDMO) and an expert in developing and manufacturing active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) and finished dosage forms.
As Slovakia´s largest pharmaceutical company with a team of over 600 employees, Saneca Pharma is your ideal CDMO partner. We combine technical agility with a responsive team that adds real value to your development and manufacturing projects.
Our wide range of technologies and expert team lets customers access a unique breadth of service, all out of one location in the heart of Europe. Saneca Pharma has the flexibility to develop and manufacture a variety of products, including APIs as well as liquid, semi-solid and solid finished dosage forms.
Saneca Pharma has a long history of developing sophisticated formulations to enhance patient compliance and product effectiveness, letting us provide responsive solutions to your challenges. We also have a strong commitment to quality acquired from our big pharma heritage. Find out more about our history.
With specialist expertise in opiate development and manufacturing, we have the experience, technologies and capabilities to meet your farm to pharmacy supply chain needs . This means our customers experience seamless service, from sourcing of materials to development, manufacture and distribution of APIs and finished dosage forms, dramatically reducing delivery times.
If you would like to find out more, please contact us.
Why we manufacture in Slovakia
Saneca Pharma´s location in Hlohovec, Slovakia brings our customers a number of benefits.
Over the last 20 years, Slovakia has gained a reputation as a centre for high quality technical manufacturing and engineering.
Cost effective service
Slovakia´s low inflation and steady economy ever since it joined the European Union in 2004 and adopted the Euro in 2009 allows manufacturers in the country to provide a cost effective service.
Slovakia´s highly skilled local workforce has attracted large scale transport and electronics manufacturers as well as pharmaceutical companies.
Our Hlohovec site is convenient and easily reachable from both Bratislava, Slovakia´s capital, and Vienna, Austria, with Hlohovec benefiting from easy transport links and access to all central European hubs.
Slovakia shares the spectacular Carpathian Mountains with its neighbouring countries, helping to foster a sense of concern for the country´s environment. Saneca Pharma has embraced it, becoming ISO140001 accredited for its environmental performance.
At Saneca Pharma, our people are at the heart of what we do. Our team´s expertise lets us consistently provide our customers with responsive solutions.
Anthony joined Saneca Pharma as chief executive officer (CEO) in 2015 with over 25 years’ experience in industry, having previously worked as a site managing director for Stada AG. In addition to holding various senior positions within the pharmaceutical industry, he also has experience in the automotive industry and engineering services.Anthony has a MBA degree awarded by the University of Limerick, Ireland.
Chief Financial Officer
Jiří joined Saneca Pharma in 2015 as chief financial officer (CFO) with 16 years’ experience in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries. He is currently a director on the Board. Jiří has a degree from the University of Economics in Prague, Czech Republic.
Site Director, Hlohovec
Ľubica joined Saneca Pharma in 2013 as plant manager. With more than 35 years’ experience in the pharmaceutical manufacturing industry, Ľubica is an expert in pharmaceutical technologies and operating systems. She has a Doctor of Pharmacy degree from the Comenius University in Bratislava, Slovakia.
Director of Cosmetics Sales and Marketing
Richard joined Saneca Pharma in 2015 as director of cosmetics sales and marketing. He has 17 years’ experience in the industry, with previous roles in the launch of innovative new pharmaceutical industry products and driving sales in competitive markets. Richard has a Doctor of Medicine degree from Charles University in Prague.
Ever since the Saneca Pharma site was established in the 1940s, the focus has been on high quality pharmaceutical development and manufacturing. With its product range and a responsive team of experts, Saneca Pharma has evolved to become the ideal CDMO partner for pharmaceutical companies in Europe, USA, Canada and Asia.
Our site´s history
- 1941 – Originally established as a facility to produce morphine from local poppy straw.
- 1950s – Became Slovakofarma – sole regional hub for the manufacture of an extensive range of pharmaceutical products. Slovakofarma remains to this date a well respected brand locally .
- 1993 – Slovakofarma privatised and later merged with Czech company Léčiva to become Zentiva.
- 2009 – Sanofi purchased Zentiva and invested further in the Hlohovec site.
- 2013 – Sold to Wood & Company and Saneca Pharma born as an independent CDMO.
Did you know that Saneca means ‘health’ in Esperanto and was chosen to emphasise the company´s international vision .
- 2016 – Wood & Company continues investing into the site, expanding its morphine extraction capacity.
Quality is at the heart of everything we do.And doing so has given Saneca Pharma an outstanding quality compliance record.
Our drug development quality control services are based on European Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) principles.
Saneca Pharma also follows guidance from other national and international regulatory boards, such as:
- Japan’s Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Agency (PMDA)
- Korean Ministry of Food and Drug Safety (MFDS)
- US Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- World Health Organisation (WHO).
- Federal State Institution ‘State Institute of Drugs and Good Practice’ of Russia (FSI SID & GP)
Our quality systems have been developed by our specialist quality unit and all our departments are actively involved in maintaining the highest quality standards to meet your needs. As part of our drug development quality control services, we have four qualified persons (QP) responsible for releasing products to markets, ensuring this step in the process is quick and efficient.
Our manufacturing authorisations and GMP certificates cover:
- Production, testing and release of finished pharmaceuticals
- Production, testing and release of investigational medicinal products
- Import from non-EU areas
- Production and testing of APIs
- Certificate of good distribution practice (GDP)
- Authorisation for handling of opiates and precursors
Our quality team can also advise you on product transfer and development strategy, as well as providing support when compiling quality and technical agreements.
To find out more about our drug development quality control services, contact us.
Indulona is a legendary Czechoslovak cream with more than 65-year history.
If you are interested in any of the cosmetics products in our portfolio, feel free to contact us.
Documents and certificates:
- General Conditions: en_general-conditions.pdf
- GMP Certificate: gmp-certtifikate.pdf
- GMP Certificate Saneca 2014 – Human Medicinal Products: svp-certifikat-saneca-2014—humanne-lieky.pdf
- Management system certificate ISO 14001:2004: saneca-pharm_cert_14k_ENG.pdf
- Management system certificate ISO 18001:2007: saneca-pharm_cert_18k_ENG.pdf
Saneca Pharma brochure can be viewed at this link.
Did our portfolio meet your needs? Let´s discuss starting business with us.Contact us